Friday, July 18, 2008

You Couldn’t Make These Things Up

You Couldn’t Make These Things Up
18 July 2008

Part One

I often think people cling to conspiracies, stories of aliens, and other such “paranormal matters” because real history is sometimes to hard to handle. One does not need to sink to the depths of wartime atrocities, for these events, as horrible as they are, seem far and distant to the average person on the street today. It is the everyday events, ones we can relate too regardless if we want to or not, that get under our collective skin.

Case in point, and article written in the 1870's by Dr. R. M. Bucke, Superintendent, entitled:

“A SHORT HISTORY OF SEWAGE DISPOSAL AT THE ASYLUM FOR THE INSANE, LONDON, ONTARIO”

Today what we call the London Psychiatric Hospital, which is just off Highbury Avenue, east side, just north off Dundas Street, was in the past called the Asylum for the Insane when it first opened circa 1870, and continued with that name for many years, until sometime in the 1960's, but I stand to be corrected on the exact date.

Dr. Richard Maurice Bucke is an interesting man. I do not always like referring to Wikipedia, as I myself have found errors in facts amoung it’s pages, but still, as a starting reference, it serves it purpose:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Maurice_Bucke

History notes him for his humane treatment of patients at the Insane Asylum, and there is even a movie called “Beautiful Dreamers” made about the authour Walt Whitman visiting his friend Dr. Bucke at London. Dr. Bucke also wrote a book called “Cosmic Consciousness” , which is still in print today, and considered one of the leading books on Spiritualism. Personally one’s choice of faith is their own affair, but I do wonder about other aspects of the old Asylum.

There was a study or paper written in 1980 titled “Gynecological Operations on the Insane” that covers the operations that took place on “insane women at the London, Ontario, Asylum.” These operations took place while Dr. Bucke was Superintendent, and this topic alone is worth a whole story by itself. There are *many* stories about this place that someday should be told.

Before I jump back into the sewage, one more diversion off tangent. I have a great personal interest in this place, for you see, my grandmother was born there just before World War One. My great-grandmother, whom it appeared suffered what we term today severe pre-natal depression, ended up in the Asylum to give birth not only to my grandmother, but to some of here siblings as well. What is considered humane 100 years ago as compared to today are worlds apart. One last word on the subject, if any of you are “offended” by the terminology used here, bear in mind not only am I being historically accurate, but I am NOT offended myself. It’s MY family we are talking about, and if I’m not hurt, why should you be? If anything I think we all are too easily “offended” anymore at anything or everything. Editorial Mode = OFF. :)

Part Two will continue as time permits, hopefully soon.... :)

No comments: