Friday, November 14, 2008

Dammed if you do, Damned if you don't.




Dammed if you do, Damned if you don't
or
That Damned Dam

14 November 2008

When the Springbank dam broke, many of us were surprized to learn it's primary purpose was NOT flood control, but to provide an adequate waterway in terms of depth and width of water for recreational use.

At present, withe dam not working and the waterway wide open, two conflicting interests have presented themselves, which you can see above in the photographs.

There is very little more Canadian in nature than paddling a canoe. Much of our history was opened by the canoe, and it continues to be a very popular recreation to this very day. As strange as it sounds, even though Ontario is a land of rivers and lake, in southern Ontario, there are not that many places to go canoeing, and those places you can often charge a fee or admission or the like.

Having free and open access to a river for canoeing and other recreational boating is important and draws in tourist dollars.

The flip side is fishing. I have wandered down along river trails since childhood, and never in my life have I seen so many people fishing in the river as I have this year, ever since the dam broke and was left open. I have also never seen the river so clean looking either.

How does that old saying go - when a door closes a window opens? Something like that. Point is, fishing brings in a lot of money too, in tourism and recreational dollars spent. I wonder which brings in more dollars to the local economy in the long run - canoeing or fishing? I suspect the two are evenly matched in the long run.

So when the decision comes to either repair the dam or not, I can see the debate over competing but equally valid uses for the Thames River will leave City Council in between the proverbial "rock and a hard place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post... I love this city, but I'd be fine leaving the dam in it's current state...

www.mygrowingcity.com

Tracy Saunders. said...

Hi there,
Nothing to do with the post, just a general enquiry about London history.
Although Canadian, I live in Spain. I am visiting my son who lives on Erika Ctrescent in the south of the city. This morning I saw a ditch which looks to me as though it is an old canal. It runs along the back of the street. I used to work for the Welland Canals Preservation Society in St. Catharines so you can imagine I am interested in the history of this. Nothing on line as far as I can see.
Do you know anything about it?
Thanks,
Tracy Saunders
P.S. I see you have the same problem with unwanted comments as I used to have on my blog. You can go to the dashboard and moderate comments on Blogger. That is you can refuse to accept the ones you don't want. The spammers don't get the hint but at least you have the pleasure of cancelling before they are published!
www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

zianab zyada said...


زينب زيادة

العنود العمري

ريال مدريد


برشلونة


ياسمين صبري

zianab zyada said...



زينب زيادة

المنتخب السعودي




رهف القنون


تصفيات كاس العالم اسيا



كوبا امريكا

انجين محمد said...

نقل عفش بالاحساء
نقل اثاث بالجبيل
نقل اثاث بالقطيف
شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
نقل اثاث بالدمام
نقل اثاث من الدمام الي المدينة المنورة
نقل عفش بالظهران

شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض